July 19, 2012

Baillieu Has No Jobs Plan As Footscray Unemployment Rises Again

The Baillieu Government’s failure to produce a jobs plan for Victoriais hurting Footscray families, new unemployment figures show, State Member for Footscray, Marsha Thomson said. 

Ms Thomson said Labor’s analysis of the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) unemployment data shows Footscray unemployment has jumped 1.61%. 

“The increase in unemployment from 7.07% in December 2010 to 8.68% March 2012 is a damning indictment on the Baillieu Government’s failure to produce a jobs plan for Victoria,” Ms Thomson said. 

“More than 1000 jobs each week have been lost inVictoriaunder Mr Baillieu. 

“Major employers continue to warn of looming job losses and we are seeing that in the manufacturing sector in particular. 

“More and more Footscray workers are losing their jobs and after 20-months the Premier has been either too weak or too lazy to develop a plan that will keep people in work.

 

“Mr Baillieu needs to take notice of these figures and outline what he will do to create and secure jobs and attract investment in Footscray and Victoria. 

“Without a jobs plan, we will see even greater jobs losses across the electorate of Footscray. 

Ms Thomson said the impact of the Baillieu Government’s failure to invest in infrastructure and create a jobs plan had already hurt local businesses. 

“Mr Bailleu needs to understand that behind the statistics are real people who are losing their jobs.”

 

Ms Thomson said in State Parliament last year, Treasurer Kim Wells said under his Government “between 50,000 and 55,000 jobs” a year would be created. 

“Instead of working to create these jobs, Mr Baillieu and Mr Wells are standing by watching on as jobs are lost,” Ms Thomson said. 

“A strong Footscray and Victorian economy doesn’t happen by accident – it’s time the Baillieu Government did some work and delivered a jobs plan.”